Don't be afraid...

to look in the mirror and see someone beautiful.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My birthday 2008

So...
this is my first birthday away from home and I'm going pretty well. God gave me a verse right before midnight last night and when midnight struck, I could see Him super excited and giddy for my day of birth. I was having a good hair day which is always nice considering my hair is usually outta control. People have just been super nice and I had my best friend and aunt sing me happy birthday over voicemail :) I got to help my friend Noelle get her flyers together for her campaigning of ASB president which was great because I got to color...:) And then I went to the hospital to pray for people...well, a specific person. So that is what I'll write about...

I went to the hospital and I knew I was supposed to pray for a man. That in and of itself is pretty intimidating because I never really know how they are going to react to a young girl talking to them...so the first guy I saw leaning up against the railing had a neck brace on and I said, "Hi! How are you?" and he proceeded with the usual, "Pretty good". I asked him if he'd like me to pray for him and he said he was waiting for somebody. I knew it was a copout but that was ok with me. So I go inside and there was a lady I was talking to and when she got called in, there really wasn't anyone else in the admitting room. So me, being the sneaky one I can be at times...waltzed my way into the hallway looking for a man to pray for with no nurses or visitors in the room (due to the fact that I didn't "know" anybody and that I'd get in trouble). I find a room with an older gentleman and I prayed with him and talked for a couple minutes just in enough time for a visitor to come see him...then I went to visit the man next to him who was a good 20 his senior. I sat down and said, "Hi!". The man had a friendly, kind face and he immediately informed me that he was cold and his "nurse caller" wasn't working. So I talk to a lady at the desk and ask her if I could get another blanket for him and sure enough someone comes in and gives him one. He was happy. We talked for a bit, I prayed with him, and I got to hear some pretty cool things about his past like, "Do you know how much a gallon of gas was in 1940?""No". "6 cents". Haha...it was good. We just kept talking and one of the nurses came in. He asked if I was a friend of the family and I said, "yes"...with a bit of a guilty tone. The man asked how long he was going to be in the hospital and the nurse said, "Oh, for at least a couple of days because more than likely you are going to be in an extensive care facility." Now, this man wasn't having it...he looked too sad to be mad and said he was calling his wife. He's 91! All I could think of was what a full life this man had led with his wife still alive and they want to stick him in a home. That sucks. The nurse asked me again if I was a friend and I said yes, but she didn't want to discuss his business in front of me so I said goodbye to my newfound friend and made my way back to school.
-How awful. You live for so long supporting others and making sure everyone else is taken care of and when you are too old to do things on your own, they want to send you away so someone else can deal with you.
-Lord, I pray for this man and his wife that they can spend the rest of their lives together...not apart in some "home".

No comments: