Don't be afraid...

to look in the mirror and see someone beautiful.

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Day 8 of 30 Day Writing Challenge

Day 8: A book you love and one you didn't

A book I love is C.S. Lewis', "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe". It was the first book I remember sparking my imagination and showed me that there are other worlds and creatures, adventures and expeditions that took me to a place beyond my abysmal world as a child. At around the age of 7 and going through some traumatic experiences, I knew there had to be more to this life than met the eye. People would lie all of the time and deceit was everywhere; especially in my home. The people who were supposed to be closest to me were the farthest and even though I had all of these things I aspired to be, I knew that finances wouldn't allow it. That was when I found reading. I could be anywhere at any time in any situation with any mood and instantly transported to a place that although wasn't always happy and many times quite grim, there was this sense of hope. Somewhere deep inside I knew that even though the bad guys seemed to be winning, that there was hope and the outcome would be glorious. I didn't know about God or Jesus at that age but that seed of otherness had sprouted and I've been an avid book reader and lover of hope every since.

I book I didn't care for were the Twilight Series. I appreciated the fact that it caused a lot of young people to want to pick up a book which I'm always thrilled to see but the writing was vague and there could have been so much more done to it. The depth of characters and plot although enough to get the point across, didn't give so much detail that you could imagine the entire world with smells and colours and relationships. Again, not a bad series; just not one I particularly cared for. And if you are wondering why I read all of them, it was because I was hoping they got better.

No comments: