Don't be afraid...

to look in the mirror and see someone beautiful.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

On the brain.

Beauty
The 6 letter word that haunts a girl from the time she can remember
Daddy, am I pretty? Daddy look at me twirl!
Our hair, our clothes, our weight, our teeth, our skin, our thighs, our butts, our arms, our stomachs, hair on our legs, our faces, our armits...

So many things...
No wonder I didn't want to bother with it until I was 17. It's like I knew I would spend the rest of my life no matter how confident I seemed to others, always wondering if I was pretty. Of course your mind tells you the truth. That there will always be someone prettier, skinner, with better skin, better hair, better teeth. But you want to be the best version of yourself right? That's the next best option. I mean, unless you have thousands of dollars to spend on things that God granted you with or didn't grant you with. For me, the things that I would like to be different I can work on. And for me, it's starting with health from the inside out. I'm not afraid to be pretty anymore. Yes, it takes effort and work and time but I actually like being confident with myself. And knowing that someone will always be better leaves me room to be me. Amber.

I hope whoever my husband is, he meets me with a ponytail and no makeup on. Pumping gas at the gas station or getting groceries late at night because I forgot to go after work. Out from the gym getting makeup remover and a new nail polish that strikes my fancy.

But who the heck knows right?

There are things I can't change. And I'm totally ok with that. My curly hair, the way I'm shaped, the marks on my face, the ways my knees buckle... so many things. But I love them. They make me me. If God wanted me to be a stick He would have done so, so He didn't. And I know if I appreciate my quirks, someone else will too :)

I wish I could tell girls that beauty really does genuinely start on the inside. Yes, there are those girls who are just born with freakazoid u and come out looking like a supermodel but for the rest of us. For the 98% of the female population, we need to own who we are. Being the healthiest versions of ourselves we can be. Not just physically but mentally and spiritually as well. There are girls I know with average looks but get all kinds of guys because they totally own who they are and don't try to be anyone else and that attracts men. Confidence is sexy. It's like a magnet. And most times we don't even know we're doing it. And that's when you know you're doing it right. Being you.

No comments: