Don't be afraid...

to look in the mirror and see someone beautiful.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Beauty of God

Yes, this post is about a tiny miniscule aspect of God's love. Really...nothing I write can ever fully express the everlasting love and unconditional love He has for all His children. But I witnessed something beautiful today and I am taking the liberty of writing it down. So I never forget. And so one day, I can look back and take that hope again. That ALL things work together for those who are called.

A dear friend of mine, let's call her...Abby. She had been through everything and anything a woman could possibly go through in a life. Divorce,death, never truly been loved by a man, being strong for everyone else when her life was falling apart. But she didn't waiver. She like Job I'm sure, asked God a lot of questions. But never lost her faith. She is such a lover of people. A lover of all things beautiful and kind, she loves the unlovely and the ones no one else has time for. And now... God gave her someone who only wants to spend their time with HER.

We watched a movie today called, "EAT PRAY LOVE". Yes, I've read the book and found a lot of beautiful things in there. But my friend had also read it but never finished it. It hit too close to home and she refused to finish it because she was afraid of finding out that the woman would end up happy alone. Well, I finished the book so I knew better :)

As we are watching the movie, her story unfolds. And although my friend hasn't travelled to Italy, India, or Bali...she has had many an adventure in her own life. Needless to say, the woman falls in love. When she least expects it. And with a man who truly understands what it is like to be rejected and the pain it is to be alone when all you want to do is love and be loved.

As I'm watching the screen...I smile. Because that's God. Everything may be taken away from us. We may lose a marriage, children, jobs, houses, cars...everything. But God always has a way of bringing all things back and then some to those who are in love with Him FIRST and seeking His will and journey.

I am always reminded. The journey isn't easy. But why should it be? What would we learn and how would be grow or even know what growing is if we never knew what it was like "back then"? This is a journey of love.

Loving God first. Only able to because He first loved us. And then. Loving others. Because who are we to keep love from anybody. Jesus didn't. And He was God's only begotten Son.

Loving means being willing to be hurt. Love means being vulnerable even though you know someone isn't perfect and will eventually let you down. But you also know that you will do the same. No matter how hard you try. We are human. That's the beauty of it. The balance of grace and mercy. "Tough love" and the, "I can see eternity in your eyes kind of love".

That's what I learned today. That life is a circle. Well...maybe not a circle. Because you're never where you were. You are always learning, growing and moving...whether you like it or not. You may be learning hard lessons, have growing pains and moving in places you don't like...but you're growing. It's the perspective you have and the God you serve that makes the difference. My God makes ALL things beautiful.

So...in short...kinda... my friend is in a beautiful relationship. I won't predict what is going to happen but He loves her. Like..."grown ass man" kind of love as we in our circle like to call it. He isn't afraid of her fears. He lets her all the way in. Speaks whatever is on his heart and truly wants to know everything that is in hers. Is completely and utterly open in a way that would destroy his heart. But that doesn't stop him. And for the first time I'm seeing what that looks like. I've never seen it. He isn't holding anything back and all he wants is to be next to her. With her. Around her. In eye's distance.

No games. No gimmicks. No playa playa. No teacher. No guru. No counselor. No accountant.

Just a lover. A friend. A soulmate.

And that my readers, is what I'm looking forward to someday. I know that I don't live in fantasyland and that while it is the most beautiful relationship I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. I am still healing. But when God thinks I'm ready, and God says that man of mine is ready...we will meet. And just like we pray... "On earth as is it in heaven"...so it will be.

Until then...as the book title so eloquently puts it. I will EAT PRAY AND LOVE.

No comments: